What is a Social Media Audit?
Breathe! You’re fine, this is not an IRS audit! A social media audit is a check you or your marketing department should perform quarterly. It keeps your brand up-to-date across all your profiles and prevents problems like forgotten groups or outdated contact info. It’s a simple check to make sure what you’re posting and sharing is keeping your audience entertained, interested and engaged.
Do I Need an Audit?
Things change, usually at a rapid pace. An email address is abandoned, a social channel accidentally ignored… it’s just wise to schedule a periodic “pulse check” of your social media accounts. Need more justification? Here are a few more to consider.
- Your audience may be asking questions and you’ve missed them.
- Social Networks may have changed cover images or profile layouts. You may need to update yours.
- Your marketing goals and objectives may have changed for the business.
- Your products or services may have changed. Are they reflected in your profiles?
- Maybe the network doesn’t work for you anymore.
- Maybe you created (or joined) a group and forgot them.
How to Complete a Simple 3-Step Audit
1. Document Your Current Social Networks and Account Profiles.
- Are profiles active or inactive?
- How many followers or likes for each?
- Who is managing each network?
- Update access information
2. Brand-Check your Channels
- Is your logo and imagery consistent from account to account?
- Does the branding match your website?
- Do your posts reflect the company values and messaging well?
- Are your posts/shares following the 80-20 rule? (80% about them, 20% about you)
- Is your contact information accurate?
3. Voice Check – “Me, Me, Me, Me, Meeeeee”
- Does each profile have a specific strategy?
- Do your posts and activity support the company marketing goals?
- Has your audience grown or declined? Why?
- Is there a particular profile that’s failing? Why?
- Is your content (posted and liked/shared) of value to your followers? Do they like it, share it, and comment on it?
- How do you compare to your competitors?
- Are you monitoring metrics? Traffic, likes, comments, growth, etc…
Put that Data to Work!
Now that you’re armed with what’s working and what’s not… put that intelligence to work for your brand. Clearly define or adjust your strategies for each social network. Get details into the right hands and make sure everyone’s clear about what you want to accomplish on your social channels.
Now, move down your calendar 4 months, and make a date with your team or yourself to complete another social media audit. Save your data and compare your quarterly audits to measure your progress and success in meeting your goals. Share victories across the company and celebrate milestones.
“To measure is to know. If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.” — Lord Kelvin