This is Part 2 of a series on entrepreneurial perspective. Read Part 1 Here.
In Part 1, we discussed the first 5 “F’s” you need to make the grade and think like a truly successful entrepreneur. Here are the remaining 5 “Fs” you need.
– To get where you’re going, you must keep your eyes on the road ahead. What is the destination? What is the next exit? the next turn? To lead your enterprise, you must think and plan ahead — your eyes must be out six months , five years, a decade into the future.
Day-to-day details will try to consume your energy, but don’t let them. Save some of your attention for the bigger picture. Take care of what is important, not just what is urgent. Look ahead. Write down your plans, goals & benchmarks. Set deadlines to achieve them.
– Even if you’re the skydiving, mountain-climbing risk taker (and not into columns of numbers)… learn about finances, business and systems. If it’s not your “thing” hire someone to help you learn and manage them. Numbers may not be “sexy” but they are pivotal to your success. Understanding best practices and learning from the experiences of others will help you measure your progress and make smarter financial decisions.
– This F may not be “easy” but it’s simple. Just don’t quit. Even when challenges seem daunting, sometimes you need to persist a little longer. Most successful entrepreneurs can tell you stories about the times they almost pulled the plug. Those who achieve great success don’t take the easy way out. If it’s viable, and you believe in your dream… stick with it.
– Risk and failure are just part of the package when you’re an entrepreneur. You are not going to do everything right. You will make bad decisions. You will make mistakes. Accept them, learn from them and move on. Even the best plans may have to be revised in midstream, based on new information, market changes or your gut feeling. If things don’t go as planned, brush yourself off and keep going.
One of my favorite quotes is “fall forward.” Don’t fall back or sit down. If you fall, even if you have to crawl… make it forward!
– Display the three Cs — confidence, confidence, confidence. And if you don’t feel confident, swallow hard and act confident. You are destined to be fabulous! Believe in yourself, believe in your dream and be all that you can be!
If you earned all Fs on your “Entrepreneur’s Report Card”, congratulations! You’ve passed this test with flying colors! You are ready to become a successful entrepreneur!